The Disability Promotion and Advocacy Association is a non-profit association with members throughout Vanuatu, which works towards a society that is inclusive, barrier-free and rights-based for persons with disabilities.
To advocate for rights and promote abilities of persons with disabilities throughout Vanuatu.
- To advocate for and support the implementation of the UNCRPD through the National Disability Policy and Plan of Action 2008 – 2015.
- To raise awareness of the rights of people with disability.
- To assist partners including Government departments, non-government organizations, donors and community groups to support and promote the rights of people with disability.
- To strengthen the capacity of DPA to continue to implement its work.
- To build skills of people with disabilities.
- To enhance coordination with government and non-government disability partners.
Our Fundamental Principles
Value of Life
We believe that the life of a person with disability has equal value to, and shall be accorded the same rights, dignity and respect as that of a person without an obvious disability.
Human Rights of Persons with Disabilities
We believe in the equal rights of men and women and that we have equal rights as all other citizens of Vanuatu including the right to participate in all aspects of spiritual, social, economic and political life, and that these rights must be protected and promoted.
Equality of Men and Women
We believe in the equality of men and women.
Non-Discrimination Based on Sex
We believe that discrimination based on sex is contrary to our belief in the equality of men and women. We therefore advocate for non-discrimination based on Article 1 of the UN Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) and will work towards promoting non-discrimination within DPA and in the nation.
We believe in the inspirational words of Helen Keller that alone we can do so little, but together we can do so much and will work with individuals, community groups, national and international developmental organizations that have similar values.
Value of Volunteers
We acknowledge and value the work that volunteers give from their hearts and treasure their commitments to provide this invaluable service for the betterment of humanity.